ComLink is taking the Coronavirus crisis very seriously. To learn more about what steps we are taking to ensure the health and safety of our clients and staff, click here.

Learn more about ComLink

Frequently Asked Questions

Home and Social Support

ComLink is an approved provider of Commonwealth Home Support Programme services. What this means is, the Department of Human Services has provided us with some funding in order to be able to offer these services to you.

Part of our funding agreement with the Department requires us to seek a contribution fee from you, the user of our services.

ComLink is committed to keeping our costs down as low as possible, to ensure you are able to benefit from the many opportunities we provide. If at any time you are facing financial hardship, ComLink is more than willing to have an open conversation with you to negotiate a reduced price.

ComLink is committed to ensuring your needs are met in a timely manner. Ordinarily, you are required to be registered through My Aged Care and have an assessment before you can commence with services.

ComLink can provide interim services to you without you having to be registered with My Aged Care or being assessed in the event you are faced in an urgent situation. We understand that things happen sometimes. Things we have no control over. Whether you fall ill suddenly or your normal carer is unavailable, ComLink can help.

Call ComLink on 1300 761 011 to discuss and we will work with you to ensure your urgent needs are met.

The good news is, ComLink has created a short cut for you!

ComLink genuinely cares about the people in our community and understands making contact with call centres and assessors can be a little overwhelming, so we have adapted our processes to ensure the whole transition is made a whole easier for you.

Call ComLink on 1300 761 011 and inform the friendly staff you need assistance to continue living in your home independently and ComLink will make a direct referral for you and arrange for an assessor to visit you in your home.

ComLink will even be present during the assessment should you choose. You just need to let us know and we will make it all happen for you.

All you need to do is say the word "COMLINK" and ComLink will be your chosen provider to deliver the services to you!

Once you have registered with My Aged Care and been assessed, the assessor will suggest several different service providers that may be able to deliver the services you need. You simply tell the assessor you would like to join ComLink and the assessor will let ComLink know. They will also give you a code. You can use this code to call ComLink directly to begin receiving services as soon as possible. Otherwise, you can wait for ComLink to be notified by My Aged Care of your decision and one of our friendly staff will call you directly to get the ball rolling.

Once registered, My Aged Care will conduct an initial telephone screening assessment with you, to determine the level of assistance you would benefit from and what type of Aged Care service that would be.

The initial telephone screening process only takes a few minutes, where My Aged Care will ask you a series of questions about your current living arrangements, your health condition and your support network. Answers to these questions will then result in you being referred by My Aged Care to the Regional Assessment Team (RAS) or Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), for a more comprehensive and face to face assessment.

A representative from the RAS or ACAT will contact you to make a time to visit you in your home. You are encouraged to have a family member, friend or carer with you to help answer questions.

During the visit, the RAS or ACAT assessor will work with you to develop a support plan which will help identify your strengths, your areas of difficulty and the goals you would like to achieve. The support plan will enable you and the assessor to determine the types of support that will best suit your needs.

Yes! My Aged Care will register your details in a National Database that allows you to transfer your services from one provider to another, without having to be re-assessed each time.

In order for you to access Commonwealth Home Support Programme services, you must first be registered and assessed by the Australian Government's centralised contact centre, known as My Aged Care (MAC).

My Aged Care is a national online and telephone service to help determine what Aged Care services you may be eligible to receive, to improve your wellbeing and help you maintain a level of independence.

ComLink recognise people with cultural or other special needs, which align with those identified under the Aged Care Act 1997:

  • People from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
  • People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
  • People who live in rural and remote areas
  • People who are financially or socially disadvantaged
  • People who are veterans of the Australian Defence Force or an allied defence force, including spouse, widow or widower of a veteran
  • People who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • People who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex
  • People who are care leavers, including Forgotten Australians, Former Child Migrants and Stolen Generations
  • Parents separated from children by forced adoption or removal

The concept of special needs within the Commonwealth Home Support Programme is not intended as a principle of prioritising access to services, rather identification of particular groups recognises that each person is unique and has different beliefs, values and barriers to accessing Commonwealth Home Support Programme services.

For more information visit our diversity page.

To access care services in your area, you may need to meet the following criteria:

  • Frail, older people aged 65 years and over or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, who need assistance with daily living activities to remain living independently in the home.
  • Frail, older CHSP clients aged 65 years or over or 50 years or over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who receive planned respite services, will allow regular carers to take a break from their usual caring duties
  • Frail, older people or prematurely aged people 50 years and over or 45 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, who are on a low income and at risk of homelessness
  • Be living in your own home or sharing a home with another person. Those living in residential facilities are excluded from CHSP

At ComLink, we believe in Ohana. Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind. And for us, that means, regardless of whether you meet the criteria or not, ComLink is committed to ensuring everyone in our community is looked after.

We have alternate options for people who may not meet the eligibility criteria. Simply give ComLink a call on 1300 761 011 to discuss your needs and we will endeavour to work something out for you… because no one gets left behind!

Transport FAQ

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

View FAQ

Home Care Packages FAQ

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

View FAQ

Get in touch today

Our friendly staff are ready and happy to assist you.

Contact Us
We noticed you're using an old web browser.

Some elements of this website will not appear correctly on older web browsers. Update your browser.